Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Power is off at 9, Goodnight!

People here drive like maniacs! We went to the grocery store.  It was way more familiar than I anticipated and when I spoke to cashiers in english, they would respond in english.  I came home and made a delicious quesadilla with sauteed onions, jalepenos and pico de gallo. The two kitchens are shared here at el verde. In the refrigerator, (which is huge, like the large glass paned ones where beer is kept in the gas stations) I have a small basket to myself, as does every visitor to El Verde, just to keep organized. In the pantry, I have a larger tupperware that is mine for my dry goods.  There is place for community items, like bags of potatoes and onions and garlic. The second kitchen has two picnic tables lined up in it draped with fall inspired table cloths, which makes for a good community table for preparing food, working and eating.

There are these little frogs that inhabit the forest, they are called Coquí. Quickly, I learned why they are called that. At dusk, they start they're chirping, (listen & see here instead of reading to a ridiculous explanation by me) and slowly increasing in coquí calls as the sky dims down, by dark the forest is loud with thousands of these adorable little coquí frogs. Researchers who study them have to work at night.

We had a mini introduction today, but we haven't gotten to explore the trail system yet.  That comes tomorrow. Emily and I did however, explore right around the field station, and this is what we found...



Any help identifying these?

The admin building of the field station & our ghetto bus!  This thing is already sketchy and then add on how wild these people drive, and you've got yourself a death wish :) This photo is taken from my study area from the previous post, so you can see how small the station really is.  It's two buildings; dorms/kitchens and admin/drying room/conference room /computer lab.

I love it here already.


No comments:

Post a Comment