Friday, June 7, 2013

Good Morning, Cacao

I got a great amount of sleep last night. Since I have been here, (4 nights) I have woke at 6:30, 6, 5:00, and today, 7:00! I have enjoyed the mornings alone, making really great breakfasts for myself. (Mom, I had a breakfast burrito that was good, but not yours... I miss those.)  Those who know, this is totally unlike me to wake early, but I could get used to this. I had dreams last night, for the first time, with Worm in them. (It was nice to see your face darlin. :0) )

Yesterday, I met Sofia, my mentor. She is wonderful, I could not have been luckier. Sofia just graduated wednesday with her PhD. She has a great plan for our project, as long as the streams don't wash our experiment away. Yikes! We all know how tedious field work and field projects can be.

Someone told me that there was an avocado tree next to the station, but turns out, this was not an avocado tree. Its a cacao tree! And it has one fruit on it. Cacao leaves look like avocado leaves, but they are larger and less shiny.


Do you see the small epiphyte, tillandsia spp. to the right of the fruit on the branch? These are everywhere, very nice little plants. I might bring some home. They need to be misted and they will do well in a windowsill.

CACAO!


No comments:

Post a Comment